Want to transform dry and frizzy hair into beautiful glossy curls?
I have a moisturizing DIY hair mask for curly hair that will help you repair damaged and frizzy hair.
Many people think that curly hair is strong and can take anything you throw at it. But if you have curly hair you know how delicate and challenging it can be.
I always loved curly hair so I had a perm for many years. The problem is that it used to get incredibly dry and frizzy.
I discovered that I was using the wrong hair products, but luckily for me, my sister (the hairdresser) pointed me in the right direction.
If you want to take good care of your hair, curly or straight, there are 5 ingredients found in hair care products you must avoid:
Now than I’m older I wear my hair short because I’m losing lots of it. BTW if you are in the same position and are losing your hair like me, check this homemade shampoo for hair growth. I’m using it myself to make my hair thicker and stronger.
Time for the homemade hair mask for curly hair. This mask can benefit also straight hair in need of hydration.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. It means that if you buy through my links I will receive a small compensation at no extra cost to you.
Diy Avocado Hair Mask for Curly Hair | Moisturize Dry Hair
Hair masks are really effective for feeding the hair with the nutrients it lacks. The following hair mask is full of goodness because it is made with products you can eat, so if it is good for you, sure it is good for your hair too.
What home remedy can I use to moisturize my curly hair? Use a mask made with avocado, honey, egg, olive oil, strawberry, and natural yogurt.
Amount you need:
- 2 tablespoons of natural Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- one tsp of honey
- 3 strawberries
- 1/4 avocado
- vegetable glycerin (1 tablespoon)
- 5 teaspoons of ground oatmeal (to thicken mask, optional)
How to make it and use it:
- place all the ingredients together in a container
- blend until smooth
If the mixture is too runny you could add flour or cornstarch.
- apply over dry hair
- cover hair with a shower cap or foil paper
- leave it on for 30 minutes
- rinse with plenty of warm water
- shampoo hair as usual
- use it once or twice a week
If you don’t have time to make your own DIY hair mask check the all-natural Silk 18 Conditioner. This ultra-emollient and nourishing conditioner can be used by all hair types but is especially good to detangle and revitalize dry curly hair.
How Do You Keep Your Curly Hair Moisturized? 10 Tips For Smoother Hair
When my hair was curly I was always looking for ways to make it softer to the touch without losing curl definition.
My other sister who is the proud owner of a beautiful natural curly mane has taught me some tricks to preserve hydration in curly hair.
- don’t use a towel to dry your hair, use a cotton t-shirt instead
- using a brush to comb your hair is a no-no, fingers are always best
- avoid hot tools
- if you must use a hairdryer don’t forget to add a diffuser
- apply hair conditioner and cover with a cap while you shower
- to revive curls mix conditioner with water and apply to the ends
- apply coconut oil before washing your hair (avoid roots)
- apply argan oil on dried hair (ends only)
- use a quality leave-in conditioner
- make one of the homemade conditioners below
This was the best trick I ever learned. Don’t rinse all your conditioner out of your hair. How much you leave behind effects how much frizz shows up later. I personally don’t rinse any of my conditioner out. Instead, standing away from the stream of the shower, I simply fill my cupped hands with water and splash this over my head. That’s it. I find that my hair can never have too much thirst-quenching conditioner – Source.
5 Natural Conditioners for Curly Hair To End Frizzy & Dry Hair
1 – Apple Cider Vinegar
If you want a natural hair conditioner that will leave your hair smooth and shiny mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with one cup of water. Apply all over your hair and scalp and leave for 2 or 3 minutes. Rinse as usual.
2 – Egg Whites Mask for Curly Hair
This egg white mask is excellent to repair damaged hair and give more curl definition.
It is very simple to make.
You will need:
- 2 or 3 egg whites (depending on the length of your hair)
- 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil or coconut oil (you could use one tablespoon of each oil)
Place the egg whites in a bowl.
Add jojoba or coconut oil and mix with a hand mixer until it is stiff (as if you were making meringue).
Apply the mask to dry hair with your fingers. Make sure your hair is totally covered with the mask.
Wrap your hair in cling film and a shower cap on top. Leave it on 30 minutes.
Wash your hair as usual.
Apply your curly hair styling products and dry with a hair diffuser.
3 – Leave-in Oatmeal Curly Hair Cream
This curly hair cream that my sister uses is amazing for curl definition.
You will need 1/2 cup rough oatmeal, 2 cups water (descaled water works better), 1 tbsp sweet almond oil, jojoba oil or grapeseed oil, and a container with a lid.
- Blend 1/2 cup of oatmeal.
- Place the oatmeal with 2 cups of water in the stove.
- Remove from the stove after a few minutes boiling (about 3 minutes).
- Strain the boiled oatmeal twice. Use a strainer and then, a pantyhose. When straining the oatmeal through the pantyhose use gloves because the mixture will be hot.
- Squeeze as much liquid as you can.
- Add 1 tbsp of sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, or grape seed oil.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Transfer to a container with lid and keep refrigerated.
- Apply with your fingers over wet hair.
- Dry your hair as usual.
Since this gel incorporates water it is recommended to make only the amount you are going to need for one application. If you want to make more, you need to add a preservative to prevent bacteria and mold from growing in the product.
4 – Homemade Flaxseed Gel
This homemade gel is perfect for curly hair because it gives definition to curls and feeds the hair.
You can find the recipe below, but If you want to know how to make it, step by step (with images), click the image or this link: DIY flaxseed gel recipe.
How to make it:
- boil 2 tablespoons of flaxseed in one cup of water
- once starts boiling simmer for 3 to 5 minutes stirring continuously
- don’t let it dry. The consistency should be thick but still runny
- let it cool and use a stocking or sieve to strain it
- it should have the consistency of a gel
- transfer to a container with lid
- apply all over the hair with the palm of your hands
- it can be used on wet hair as a hair mask (rinsing) or
- over dry hair without rinsing
- keep it in the fridge for 7 days
To make a long-lasting flaxseed gel you need to add a broad-spectrum preservative.
Optional – Add a teaspoon of coconut oil to the gel for added moisture.
CURLY HAIR GUIDE:
Find tips and DIY remedies to take care of curly hair with this curly hair routine.
5 – DIY Hair Mask for Curly Hair
This DIY recipe is great to keep your curly hair hydrated, soft and shiny.
You will need a banana, one tbsp of honey, 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a half cup of your own sulfate-free conditioner.
- to make it blend all the ingredients and apply over dry hair
- make sure all your hair is covered with this hair mask
- now wrap your hair with cling film
- wrap it again but this time with foil paper
- leave from 30 minutes to one hour
- wash your curly hair as usual
✅ Loving these containers for DIY beauty products
What do you think? What’s your favorite diy hair mask for frizzy hair?