If you love lip gloss and want to learn how to make lip gloss with Versagel, follow the step-by-step recipe below.
A glossy finish isn’t worth anything if it isn’t nourishing your skin, so you want to be sure that your lip gloss will last you for long and will moisturize your lips as you go about your day.
A homemade lip gloss will also save you some dollars and will give you peace of mind because you know that all the ingredients used are safe to consume.
If all of this sounds good to you, here’s how to make your own lip gloss.
Please note that this post might contain affiliate links. It means that if you buy through my links I will receive a small compensation at no extra cost to you.
How To Make Lip Gloss With Versagel | What Is Versagel?
You have to start with a really good lip gloss base. The best one to use is the Versagel Lip Gloss Base. It is crystal clear, shiny, has no smell, and provides the best start to your DIY lip gloss process.
On top of being a fantastic base, it is also cruelty and gluten-free as well as vegan. It is not super expensive and it is beginner-friendly.
All of these characteristics can be really useful in making your own lip gloss especially if you have allergies, want something natural, or just want something that is custom to your own needs.
DIY Lip Gloss Ingredients
This lip gloss recipe with Versagel is easy to make and fills approx. 6 tubes of 10 ml each.
- 40 gr of Versagel or lip gloss base
- 2 tablespoons of oil (castor oil, sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil or fractionated coconut oil are good choices)
- a pinch of red iron oxide powder or cosmetic grade mica powder
- a pinch of cosmetic glitter (optional)
- 10ml lip gloss tubes
- one plastic pipette and one sirynge (to fill in the tubes)
- microwave-safe container
How To Make It
- Place Versagel on a microwave-safe container and microwave for 30 seconds at at time. I usually repeat this 3 times. This makes the base softer and allows the products you add to mix more thoroughly.
- Add in the oils of your choice and stir. For this recipe I have used 1 tbsp of fractionated coconut oil and 1 tbsp of castor oil.
- Make sure all the ingredients are throughly mixed.
- Add a small amount of red iron oxide powder or cosmetic grade mica powder and stir until is well incorporated.
- If you are using glitter, add a pinch now and stir again.
How To Put Lip Gloss Into Tubes
- Cut the top part (bulb) of one pipette.
- Cut also the tip of the pipette. Cutting the tip of the pipette will ensure the flow of the substance.
- Now drow up the lip gloss substance with the syringe. Wipe the syringe.
- Insert the pipette over the tip of the syringe. Secure both parts with cellotape if necessary.
- Another way is to place the the lip gloss into the top of the syringe using a spoon or spatula. Check this video to see how it is done.
- Start transferring the lip gloss to the tube by placing the pipette dropper at the bottom of the tube.
- TIP: When you buy the syringe make sure that the tip is long enough to insert the pipette on it.
- TIP: Don’t fill up the lip gloss container. Leave a gap so when you insert the applicator or wand, the lip gloss doesn’t overflow.
- Also, if your lip gloss has bubbles, I find they dissapear after I let them rest for awhile.
Put the applicator wand back.
Your lip gloss is ready to use!
Best Oils For Your DIY Lip Gloss Recipe With Versagel
An essential ingredient to create your lip gloss is oil. The oil is added to act as a moisturizing agent while wearing the lip gloss. It also ensures the gloss is the right stickiness for what you want.
If you want an oil you can buy at any store, you can use fractionated coconut oil which will also be clear. Don’t be tempted to use the usual coconut oil because the lip gloss will become solid and will have the texture of a lip balm.
Other oils you can use in the recipe include sweet almond oil, castor oil, or grapeseed oil.
Whatever option you want to take, the oil should be moisturizing and orderless. You will want to do some test batches to ensure your gloss is the right consistency and will not separate.
When combining the Versagel base with any oil, being slightly off with the measurements may result in your gloss base separating from the oils. If you find that your gloss is separating from the oils, simply add a bit more Versagel to the mixture.
This will fix the problem and ensure you have a well-made lip gloss. Combining the oil with your base will give you the perfect gloss to customize.
It contains ingredients that ensure you get a gorgeous gloss that is also moisturizing to your lips. If you want to use TKB Trading’s oil fusion product, they recommend mixing a 2 to 1 ratio of base to oil.
5 Homemade Lip Gloss Customization Options
Now that you have an idea of how to make your own lip gloss, it is time to start the customization process!
When adding colors to lip glosses, really popular options are going to be mica and iron oxide powders.
Mica powders (approved by US food and drug administration for cosmetic purposes) are made from colorful ground minerals making them a safe and natural color option. Mica powder comes in every color imaginable and naturally has a sheen to it.
Not only does using Mica allow you to choose any color for your lip gloss, but you can control how opaque or how transparent your color is when applied.
Adding small amounts of pigment will allow the gloss to be sheer. This may be best if you plan to put some charms or glitter into the gloss that you would like to be seen.
Adding a larger amount of mica powder into your gloss will make it
more opaque and easily seen. In some cases, Mica pigment can have a chance of bleeding slightly after applied.
This is something to keep in mind if you will want to make more opaque glosses.
To make more opaque lip colors you can use iron oxide mineral powder. Iron oxide powder is super simple to use and creates a really nice color. There are many shades to choose from for your gloss and they mix perfectly with the base.
When adding scents to your gloss, there are many options that come in the form of oils you can add to your mixture. You can even add multiple flavoring oils to your lip gloss to create new combinations.
Flavor oils come in flavors like bubble gum, cotton candy, pineapple, and gummy bears. Ensure that you smell your lip gloss after adding the scented oils so that you can get the desired intensity.
This is the easiest way to add a variety of yummy scents to your lip gloss. There are some other ways you can add scents to your gloss outside of flavor oils.
Essential oils can be found in many stores and have natural scents like orange and lavender. Some essential oils are said to be good for the body and help with activities like falling asleep.
Some other ways to add to the scent are to add everyday kitchen items like drink powders, honey, syrup, etc. You can get really creative by adding them to your lip gloss.
Another important element of your gloss is adding glitter, flakes, and charms. A popular choice of add-on to lip glosses is glitter. Fine glitter can add a beautiful element to your gloss and make it sparkle more than it would on its own.
It comes in many colors that can complement your gloss color. This adds to the gloss itself. Making the gloss appealing in the container is important, even if it does not add to the quality of the gloss itself.
Gold flakes are another popular option and make the gloss look even better in its container.
Extras That Make Lip Gloss Stand Out
Some people choose to add more elements that are not as common but can make your lip gloss stand out visually.
Putting objects like crystals, dried flowers, and plastic fruits into the container can add to the visual appeal of your lip gloss. These extras can easily be mixed into your final product.
DIY Lip Balm Recipes You Migh Like
- DIY tinted lip balm recipe with coconut oil
- How to make lip balm without beeswax
- Easy DIY lip balm with beeswax and rose petals
How To Make Lip Gloss With Versagel (Final Words)
Lip gloss can seem like a tricky product to create for yourself. It is super easy to make however if you start with the right ingredients.
Using a base like Versagel and oil can make the process simple. You can easily DIY your own lip gloss by following this guide. There are so many ways to customize your own glosses and get your own perfect match!
Other homemade beauty recipes that make great gifts